Length of Term: September 2013 – December 2013 OR September 2013 – May 2013
Hours Per Week: 10-20 hours/week
Start Date: Immediately
The GLBTQ Domestic Violence Project, formerly the Gay Men’s Domestic Violence Project, is a grassroots non-profit organization that provides support and services to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer (GLBTQ) survivors of domestic. Our services include a 24-hout hotline, emergency safe-home, community based services, and sexual assault case management. All of our services are free and confidential; including our community based training and technical assistance workshops.
We are currently looking for an Outreach/Education Intern to assist in implementing a community education and communications strategy that will help to raise awareness of GLBTQ domestic, help connect survivors to support and services, and to collaborate with other GLBTQ nonprofit organizations.
The position will work in collaboration with the Outreach/Education Manager by participating in outreach to GLBTQ communities, facilitating community workshops on domestic violence, and supporting social media relations. The intern will gain a) an increased knowledge of GLBTQ communities and domestic violence b) skills in non-profit communications and community engagement and c) experience facilitating community education. The internship will lead one of two primary projects, which will be completed with support from the Outreach and Education Manager, including the development of a social media strategy/evaluation and the planning and coordination of a community education event.
- Passionate about community education/organizing and using social media to engage with GLBTQ communities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a talent for capturing messaging in a short and readable fashion
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Self-motivated and comfortable working in a team
- Knowledgeable about GLBTQ communities and domestic violence
- Sophisticated knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Suite
- Second Language Capability
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.